Could the amount of your coffee intake affect your cup size? Well, that might sound outrageous, but scientists have discovered that taking three or more cups of coffee daily among women can shrink their breasts.
A study of 300 women was published in the British Journal of Cancer where 300 women were interviewed on the amount of coffee they take each day.
The participants who drank three and more cups of coffee had 17% smaller breasts than the women who took less than 3 cups of coffee each day. The scientists discovered that three cups of coffee were enough to make your breasts start shrinking, and the effects increase with each extra cup you drink.
The scientists said that there is a clear link between smaller breasts and women drinking coffee. This is because half of the women with small breasts possess a gene that results in the shrinking of cups size.
According to Helena Jernstroem, a lecturer in experimental oncology at Lund University, Sweden, drinking coffee can have a significant impact on your breast size. However, she adds that women who drink coffee have fewer reasons to worry about their breasts disappearing overnight as they only shrink slowly.
The researchers narrow their research to one point: too much caffeine can affect your body's hormones, therefore, affecting your breast size. It's the estrogen hormone which is a sex hormone for females.
Some substances in coffee could alter a woman's metabolism, therefore, giving her various estrogens which lower the risk of smaller breasts. Also, the scientists added that women with bigger breasts which contain mammary glands are the most susceptible to this condition.
Should I Avoid Coffee?
Well, not really? First of all, this research does not have a 100% efficiency as is common with most studies. Also, some things are alarming, i.e. the fact that the researchers collected information from each subject's memory.
Therefore, the subject could indicate three cups when in reality they gulp more or less of the coffee than they state (and also there are different types of coffee), so it's ambiguous. Also, in terms of research, the sample was quite small; while 300 women may seem like a larger and more accurate sample size, meaningful and reliable data is only extracted from more extensive studies.
The bottom line, because of the research, don't feel the urge to drop coffee yet-and, especially if you enjoy gulping the drink down your throat. Besides, it makes many people happy, and that includes me! But the best advice is to do everything in moderation- keep your coffee intake to less than three cups a day.
Other effects of Caffeine on Breasts
Besides coffee, chocolate and soft drinks contain caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant and has a wide range of effects on your body. Also, when you take coffee, you may experience some side effects on your breasts, but they'll not require any treatment according to the University of Rochester Medical Center.
Lumps- According to the Columbia Health Services of Columbia University, fibrocystic breasts have cells that gather fluids into cysts. These often make your breast look lumpy, and the condition worsens when you increase your caffeine intake. These lumps can come and disappear or be consistent on your breasts. Treatment for these lumps may involve you avoiding caffeine in your diet.
Pain- Caffeine may cause pain and discomfort in your breasts. The Bowling Green State University Student health center notes that higher caffeine intake increases the pain if you have fibrocystic breasts. This pain could be consistent, or it may come and disappear.
Dense Breasts - High caffeine in your diet, which causes fibrocystic changes in the breasts can also cause high-risk areas on the mammogram. A mammogram on fibrocystic breasts usually shows some areas of the breasts being very dense.
But since a mammogram is less accurate in diagnosing fibrocystic breasts problems, it's always recommended to take a breast ultrasound to investigate the suspicious areas on a mammogram. However, the fibrocystic breasts which occur from higher caffeine intake do not increase your risk of contracting breast cancer.
The Health Benefits and disadvantages of Drinking Coffee
Coffee has a multitude of benefits on your health, but there are also effects of taking it. According to research, below are the pros and cons of taking coffee for your health.
- It Boosts Your Physical Performance - Taking black coffee an hour before your workout will improve your physical performance by about 12%. Caffeine increases your adrenaline levels; adrenaline is the body's hormone that prepares your body for "fights" and "flights", that is, it increases your physical exertion.
- It May Help You Lose Weight - Coffee contains potassium and magnesium, which enables your body to utilize insulin, regulate blood sugar levels as well as reduce your cravings for sugary snacks and food.
- It Helps You Burn Fat- Caffeine present in coffee helps the fat cells to break down body fat to fuel. The body will then use it as a source of energy for training.
- It Helps You to Focus and Stay Alert- Moderate coffee intake will help improve your mental activity which increases your alertness and concentration.
- It Lowers the Risk of Cancer- According to one study, coffee helps reduce the risk of developing prostate cancer and endometrial cancer by 20% in men and women respectively.
- Bad Coffee Can Be Toxic - At times coffee may contain many impurities that can cause headache, sickness and general bad feeling. This can occur if the coffee is over ruined. Even a single bean could make your coffee toxic, which could have adverse effects on your health.
- It Can Cause Insomnia and Restlessness - The recommended amount of caffeine is 400 milligrams which you'll get by taking 4 cups of coffee. But if you're caffeine sensitive, then take less as too much coffee can cause insomnia and restlessness.
Coffee can be both good and bad for your breasts and overall health. Good in that it has numerous health benefits, but if you take much coffee, then you'll likely experience challenges with your breasts.
According to medical experts, you should take less than 3 cups of coffee per day as it's healthy for your body.